Make the Most of Duty Free Shopping
One of the best things about travelling abroad is the airport duty free stores. Doesn’t matter if it’s a business trip or a 15-day Euro trip, there is always time to browse through the aisles of duty free stores. In fact it is not unheard of people to reach the airport a little earlier to get shopping.
And why not, there are some great deals available. This holds true especially for wine and spirits. Compared to the massive dent on your pocket buying international spirits and wine brands at retail prices in India, the duty free prices are godsend. However, practice makes perfect and we know people who’ve made duty-free shopping an art form. We have some of their handy tips to get you started:
- As per laws, any individual coming into India from a foreign land is allowed 2 liters (2 bottles) of alcohol duty free. If you are bringing in more, you are liable to pay duties for it at customs check.
- If you’re travelling in a group or with family and if they aren’t buying spirits, get on their good books. Convince them to carry 2 additional bottles on their name for you.
- Similarly, if you are not travelling and know of a teetotaler family member, friend or a colleague who is, convince them to use their quota to get bottles for you.
- Different countries and their duty free shops have a vast variety of products available, try picking up brands that are difficult to find in India. Our first taste of Absinthe and some unique Single Malts was through our purchases during our duty-free excursions.
- Some of your favorite spirit companies introduce special travel retail ranges which are only available at duty free stores, like Talisker’s Dark Storm and Absolut’s Elyx. Try and pick such limited edition brands, they are limited stock and not available on retail.
- Look out for deals. Brands like Johnnie Walker and Chivas Regal often have deals which get you a giveaway; many are known to succumb to the lure of a smart looking strolley bag.
- If you aren’t able to find a brand that you want, check with the staff, you can place an order on departure, collect it on arrival back in India. And you get 5% off on your order.
Considering duties and taxation in India prices of your favorite bottle of booze is quite expensive. At duty free the prices are often half of that. Never miss out on the opportunity.
Featured Image: Changi Airport Singapore